Trempealeau County Shelter Capital Campaign
May 28, 2018
Dear Friend of New Horizons
New Horizons Shelter and Outreach Centers has been providing free and confidential services to the residents of Trempealeau County since 1987. Our Outreach Center, which is located in Whitehall, serves women, men and children who have experienced domestic abuse, sexual abuse and human trafficking. Our services include but are not limited to:
- A 24-hour crisis line that connects callers to an experienced advocate
- Personal Advocacy (assistance with employment, education, housing, medical, transportation, resources and referrals, safety planning, etc.)
- Legal Advocacy (court support, infon and referrals, assistance with filing restraining orders)
- Counseling with a licensed therapist
- Community education and prevention work (complimentary to the community)
- Youth and family advocacy
- Support groups
- Emergency assistance with personal care items, clothing and food
All of these services and yet, no shelter close by to flee to if they leave their abuser.
Yes, there are shelters in adjoining counties. In fact, La Crosse County and Eau Claire County have emergency shelters for those experiencing abuse. But escaping to these shelters is not simple. Distance to the shelter and the travel time obstruct their personal and daily lives i.e. work schedules, their children’s attendance at school and easy accessibility to their support system of family and friends. Please see the table below:
|Start city||Destination and miles to travel||Travel time|
|Arcadia||La Crosse – 45 miles||55 minutes|
|Arcadia||Eau Claire – 46 miles||60 minutes|
|Arcadia||Whitehall – 16 miles||22 minutes|
|Blair||La Crosse – 43 miles||53 minutes|
|Blair||Eau Claire – 54 miles||57 minutes|
|Blair||Whitehall – 8 miles||10 minutes|
|Galesville||La Crosse – 25 miles||38 minutes|
|Galesville||Eau Claire – 65 miles||75 minutes|
|Galesville||Whitehall – 25 miles||28 minutes|
|Whitehall||La Crosse – 49 miles||61 minutes|
|Whitehall||Eau Claire – 43 miles||49 minutes|
From 1/1/16 – 9/30/16, the majority those receiving services resided in Arcadia, Blair, Galesville and Whitehall.
Mileage and travel time obtained from Google Maps.
Only 3.5% of Trempealeau County persons utilizing our services within the last five years have utilized shelter. The other 96.5% move in with family, move away from the area or worse yet, stay with their abusive partner.
It is the goal of New Horizons to purchase a large home within the city of Whitehall to serve as a temporary shelter and outreach center. A shelter where Trempealeau County residents fleeing abuse in search of safety will have easy access to advocates, their work, their children’s school, their family and their friends, their lives.
To date New Horizons currently has secured $71,000. To make our goal of $200,000 by the end of 2018, we need your assistance. Please consider contributing toward our shelter purchase.
Your contribution will be a valuable asset in assisting those within Trempealeau County who seek safety and stability away from their abusers.
My sincerest appreciation in your consideration of supporting our Trempealeau County Shelter Project. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have questions. I can be reached at 608-791-2610 ext. 1304.
Ann Kappauf Kim Jones Sally Miller
Executive Director Sexual Assault Advocate Domestic Violence Advocate