New Horizons holds formal volunteer and intern trainings three times a year in January, May and September. If you are interested in working with a great team while providing empowering life skills to persons who have been effected by abuse in their lives, we invite you to join us!
Due to COVID-19, we are providing Advocacy Trainings VIRTUALLY.
You will be provided with the following knowledge:
- Structure and history of our organization
- An introduction to the dynamics of domestic and sexual abuse and human trafficking
- Our various programs and services
- Different types of abuse and the “red flags”
- How to provide and maintain supportive and non-judgmental advocacy
- The important role of volunteers and interns
- Guidelines for volunteers and interns
- Our policies and procedures
- How to maintain boundaries and work with confidential information
- How victims handle their life experiences
- The effects of domestic abuse on all classes, cultures, races, and social structures
- Hands on experience (provided through role play)